Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Digital Photography Class 1

Okay, so I signed up to take a Photography class. The first one was tonight. And frankly I'm thinking, wow...that is an hour and a half that I will never get back of my life. I am definitely a bit more advanced than most of the class, if you don't mind my bragging. How do I know? Well, I at least know that to attempt and zoom in closer to a subject, you don't grab your binoculars and try to take a picture through the binoculars lenses!! I kid you not, someone did that. Again, wow.

So, I am left with the dilemma of returning to the class next Tuesday as we are supposed to advance to fun things like f-stops and apertures and lighting. Which is really where I struggle. I think my photography skills are pretty good so far, but for me, it's increasing them to a point so that I feel confident in the shots I make on a more consistent basis.

I struggle with indoor pictures because I don't have a great light source. So I guess I need to convince Russ that I need to buy either a $300 light and reflector or a $150 flash for my camera. I'm thinking neither are going to be seen by me soon. I mean, I'm not the kind of photographer to have the kids pose in front of a white or black background, because I like catching them doing their thing, you know? But, the perfectionist in me, would love to have a big drop-down background that I could make them pose for me all day long (while doling out quarters as bribes of course.) It's just that light is the big thing in getting great pictures.

Anyway, I think I figured out that I really like outdoor photography much better anyway. Natural sunlight and better backgrounds. I really like the sports photography that I've been able to do with Trent's baseball and football teams. And the wedding I did last summer, thankfully, I was able to get most of the pictures outside. I have another wedding I'm taking pictures for in April, and I am so hoping Mother Nature cooperates and it is a lovely day for outdoor pictures.
I'll let you know if next Tuesday class is any better, if I go.

2 comments:

Lena said...

Wow Sara - you are so good at photograpy. I would fit in that novice section or maybe not even that good. Thanks for sharing. Lena

KariAnnS said...

Where is the class? I need to find one to take!