Monday, December 1, 2008

MMM (more like MNM...Monday Night Minutes!)

Sorry I am not posting this edition of the Monday Morning Minutes (MMM) until almost 9pm at night, but it was a busy & joyful weekend followed by a busy & crazy Monday! At any rate, here we go!
Thursday of course was Thanksgiving. We host Thanksgiving at our house, and I think it is something we will continue to do every year. It is nice to be able to have both sides of our family together and that way all can see the little ones we are most thankful for, Trent & Addy. We also invited long-time family friends, the Stahnke's to celebrate with us. We were so thankful they decided to come and eat turkey with us. It was a great day, filled with lots of food, dice games (Trent won $7, Addy won $2), really good wine, Black Friday ads, and more food!

The Pilgrims, The Soukup's & The Stahnke's

Trent & my mom, Me and Russ
Onto Friday. Yes, I joined the thousands of people who get up insanely early and go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I hadn't slept well the night before, and was awakened at 5:30am when Trent got up to use the bathroom, so I figured I might as well get up. My mom and I had planned to go at 6:30am anyway. Luckily, we did not run into crazy, out of control crowds or frenzied buyers at any of the stores went to Friday morning. Got a few deals and were back home by 1pm.

That evening we went to my dad's house and had the pleasure of meeting Troy and his family. I told you about the story of my step-mom and the son she had given up for adoption at age 17. He found her last week, and then he came to MN with his family for Thanksgiving. He looks a lot like my step-brother Mitch. See for yourself: (Troy, Missy, Carly, Mitch)



We headed to a restaurant to have a big family dinner. It was a great evening, and Troy, his wife Shelly, and their 4-year old daughter Bebe fit into our family like they had always been there. It was truly and amazing and joyous Thanksgiving for all. And to top it off, my step-brother Mitch won $500 from pull-tabs!

Saturday we left early for a Schwab wedding in New Ulm. Russ's cousin, Scott, and his new wife, Kim, were married in a beautiful ceremony. And then came all the fun! Trent and Addy had been looking forward to the day for awhile. Since they have no first cousins, they can't wait to get together with their 2nd cousins and party! In fact, Trent was overheard telling one of his 2nd cousins, "Greg, we are going to rock the house tonight!" And they did! Addy danced with more boys, related and unrelated to her, than anyone else there. At one point during the dance, Russ told Addy that she couldn't dance with any boy unless she knew their name. She promptly walked over to the boy who had been dancing with her before dad had cut in, and asked his name. Done. She just gave him the "I've got it under control, dad" look and continued dancing. Here's a few of her dancing the night away:



We stayed the night at Russ's aunt and uncles house, Jean and Doug, so that Trent and Addy could have a sleep-over with their 2nd cousin Riley. They had a blast the next morning playing air hockey and the Wii. Jeanie served us an excellent brunch and then we headed home to get some Christmas decorating done and watch the football games.

Then we got home and received the best phone call! Remember how a few paragraphs ago I told you that Trent and Addy don't have any cousins? Well, one is on the way! My step-sister Missy is about 5 weeks along and her and her husband Brian are expecting their first child in July! We were all literally jumping up and down and we are so excited for them. I cannot wait to add another description to who I am: Auntie!!

Sunday night, amid the chaos and mess of Christmas decorations, we enjoyed a Vikings victory! Whew! It really was a very jam-packed and busy four days! And I don't expect that it will slow down any as we enter the season of Advent. Thanks for reading!

No comments: